About this recipe
In less than 10 minutes, you can make lemon rice!! Yes, cooking this incredibly tasty and refreshing lemon rice is simple. It’s made using minimal cupboard staples but packs a punch of authentic Indian flavour. Cooked rice, tempering spices, curry leaves, and peanuts are used to make this popular dish. In Kannada, it’s also known as Chitranna.
This is one of South Indian cuisine’s most popular and widely prepared rice recipes.
Ingredients of Lemon Rice
- 1 Cup cooked basmati rice
- 2 tbsp oil
- A pinch of asafoetida (heeng)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (sarson)
- 1/2 cup curry leaves (kadhi patta)
- 1 Whole red chilli (sabut laal mirch)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder(haldi)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves (hara dhania), chopped
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1/2 tsp ginger
Instructions to prepare Lemon Rice
- In a bowl, wash and soak 1½ cup rice for at least 15 minutes. If you don’t have time to soak the rice, you can skip it and boil it right away. If cooking in a pot, cover and cook rice in a 1:2 ratio on a low burner (rice:water). or Pour 1 cup water into the pressure cooker and cover with a trivet to cook. Cook for 2 to 3 whistles with the rice and water bowl within. Cook until 1 whistle if using a pressure cooker.
- In a pan, heat the oil and add the mustard seeds, allowing them to sputter.
- Add Asafoetida, curry leaves, ginger, red chilli, chana dal, and urad dal into the pan. Saute them thoroughly.
- Add the peanuts, turmeric powder, and rice when the seeds start to sputter. Turn the rice a few times to ensure that it is evenly distributed.
- Add salt and lemon juice to the rice and mix well.
- Serve hot.